Wow, you're actually reading this! That amazing. Anyway here's the as-promised
Data Investigator (hosted at SourceForge) is a project whoose main goal is to build a tool that will allow the easy integration of a database (currently SQL server 2000) query tool into an existing application. Basically an online way to allow power users to build their own queries (without giving them Microsoft Access interfaces) against a database and save them for future use.
Another use for Data Investigator is for the case when you have a SQL sever database that you can connect to, but you don't know what's inside (maybe you don't have Enterprise Manager or whatever). In this case you just provide your logon and password and start querying the database to see what's inside.
And yes, this project is hosted @ sourceForge:
- Connects to remote or local SQL Server database. (done)
- Connects Securely. (not done)
- Lists databases on server. (done)
- Lists tables in database. (done)
- Identifies joined tables and offers them as selectable options. (not done) Pick columns and sort columns to include in query. (done)
- Add criteria (WHERE clause) to query. (done)
- Add Functions to query (aka SUM, COUNT, etc). (not done)
- Alter sort order (ORDER BY). (not done)
- Figure out a way to make it super-easy to integrate directly into an existing application (without using IFRAMEs). (not done)
- Save queries. (not done)
Download Data Investigator Source or compiled binary and ASPX from SourceForge servers.